Hi! I’m Taylor! 👋🏾
I am a full-time medical social worker and newly, a money nerd. Professionally, I have a passion for working with individuals who are grieving, and talking about death and dying. I live with my husband, Bret, and we have been married for 3 years (together for 11!). I love hanging out with my people and just enjoying life.
I started the Social Work to Wealth blog with the goal of sharing the knowledge I have gained (and will gain) on our journey to paying off our debt of $277,721.41 ($260,390.25 of it is student loans; Hubs & I’s combined), building wealth, and becoming financially independent.
I have not been in this personal finance space long and have quickly learned there is a ton about money that I did not know.
Because talking about money is so taboo, I am finding many others feel the same.
I want to document our personal finance journey and share the knowledge we gain with my community! Financial health is so important to our overall well-being, and I want others to feel just as empowered as I have since I have begun to have a better relationship with money.
My goals for this blog:
- Create a space where you can learn and contribute, free from guilt and shame
- Combat society’s collective weirdness around money by being transparent about my journey
- Share concrete money strategies that you can apply to your own life
- Help you to grow to have a better relationship with your money
I’VE BEEN THERE.
And I still am, kinda there. I know how it feels to not feel like you know much about money. To feel like you have “failed” at budgeting. Or, to get to a place where you feel good about how you are managing your money, only to find out later you’re going further into debt.
And investing? I had no clue about it! I thought it was only for rich people (btw, it’s not). I was struggling with all of this while also trying to manage my feelings about my huge student loan balance. It’s HARD.
Since December 2020, I have embraced learning all I can about personal finance. I absolutely love learning, talking, reading, teaching, and writing about all things finance. I am now investing monthly, making progress on our debt payoff goals, have a general plan to not only retire but retire early, and finally feel in control of my finances (for real this time!).
I’m not saying I have everything figured out — because I don’t. But I know a lot more about money since starting this journey and that’s the stuff I want to share.
Through my blog, I hope to provide practical tips, share our personal experiences, and create a community of support for those looking to improve their financial situation. I am here to tell you, YOU CAN DO IT, and I’ll be cheering you on the whole way through!
Here’s to our journey to financial empowerment! ✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿
Features and such:
- Interview on Yo Queiro Dinero Podcast — A Real Look At Entrepreneurship
- Interview on The Social Work Bubble Podcast — Getting Out of Debt for the Social Worker
- Social Work News — Social Workers Aren’t Just Being Burned Out – We Are Being Exploited
- Social Work News — “It takes a special kind of person to do what you do…” – is this a compliment?
- Social Work News — Why it’s so important to celebrate your wins in social work – big or small
- Social Work News — Is burnout an inevitable part of social work?
- Best Colleges — How Social Work Students Can Snag a Paid Field Internship
- Making Sense of Cents — How We Paid Off $28,000 Of Debt In 15 Months
- Plutus Awards Finalist — Finalist for the 14th Annual Plutus Awards
- Women’s Personal Finance — Wednesday Roundup, August 2023
- Social Work News — US Social Workers are Fighting to Be Paid – It’s Time Social Workers Advocated for Themselves!
- Interview on The Social Work Rants Podcast — Personal Finances & Social Work
- Social Work News — Your Social Work Degree Is Your Secret Weapon – if You’re Not Happy, Take it Somewhere Else!
- Plutus Awards — Plutus Awards Showcase, June 2023
- Plutus Awards — Plutus Awards Showcase, April 2023
- Women’s Personal Finance — Wednesday Roundup, March 2023
- Social Work News 2023 Writing Competition Winner: I Love My Job, Clients, and Colleagues. But I Need To Make More Money
2022 (Blog was previously known as Goodbye Whine to 5):
- Plutus Awards — Plutus Awards Showcase, September 2022
- Women’s Personal Finance — Wednesday Roundup, August 2022
- Frugal Rules — Rover Dog Sitter Review: Earn $20+ an Hour Walking Dogs
- Oregon Bride Magazine — A Hot Air Balloon Adds An Eccentric Detail To An Intimate Wedding
Get all my money successes, failures, tips and tricks straight to your inbox!